Thursday, December 8, 2011

Laksa Johor - Ala Chef Wan


My latest birthday treat was Chef Wan's - A Taste of Malaysia.
I love the recipes in this book. 
Tried a few already and will continue to do so, one recipe at a time.


I've been trying to learn to cook Laksa Johor. As a second attempt, I tried Chef Wan's recipe.
I got a thumbs up from my family, my friends at work and even my mother! 


My Laksa Johor - Ala Chef Wan.

Here's the recipe:

Gravy
Vegetable oil
Ginger
Shallots
Garlic
Dried prawns
Fish Curry powder
Prawns
Coconut Milk/Cream
Lemon grass
Galangal
Mackerel Fillet 
( I used canned Tuna in water, it was a Monday working day after all - 
who has the time to poach, debone and mince a whole fish!)
Dried sour fruit (asam gelugor)
Pounded roasted grated or desiccated coconut (kerisik)
Spaghetti
Kalamansi limes


Sambal Belacan

Red Chillies
Dried prawn paste (belacan)
Salt
Lime Juice

Garnish

Cucumber
Laksa leaves
Bean Sprouts
Onions
Long Beans

Method:

  • Combine ingredients for Sambal Belacan in a food processor and blend until smooth. Set aside.(But of course pounding them silly with a pestle and mortar gives a thicker and less watery sambal belacan, authentic traditional way.)
  • Heat the oil in a heavy pot and fry the ginger, shallots, garlic and dried prawns until fragrant. Add the curry powder and fry for 2 minutes.
  • Add the prawns, coconut cream, lemongrass and galangal. Leave to simmer.
  • Add the mackerel and dried sour fruit and continue to simmer for 20 minutes.
  • Add the pounded grated coconut to the stock. Stir and cook for another 2 minutes. If the sauce is too thick, dilute with hot water. ( I used prawn stock prepared by simmering the prawn shells in water earlier).
  • To serve, divide spaghetti into serving bowls. Garnish with the cucumber, laksa leaves, bean sprouts, onions and long beans.
  • Pour the sauce over the spaghetti, squeeze some lime on it and serve with sambal belacan on the side.
** I also added Torch Ginger Buds (bunga kantan) as garnish.

Wallaaaa... easy peasy lemon squeezy. If I can do this so can you. 

I don't provide exact measurements (which are provided in the book by the way), because I tend to not follow them strictly. Good luck, happy cooking.

3 comments:

mama_QnR said...

sebagai seorang yang separa johor - good job eti!!!
excellent!

erk, laksa leaves tu apa eh?
daun kesum kah?

just to share with you, the more authentic laksa johor will use these ulams :-

daun kesum
daun selasih
toge
bawang
timun
limau kasturi

owhh dem... now terasa nak makan jugak...
mana nak cari daun kesummmm....
aarrgghhh!

CiKaYu said...

buat saya terliur idamkan laksa johor mak saya....

Anonymous said...

Ni rempah nyer tk perlu d kisar ker?d tumis jer?

Related Posts with Thumbnails