Saturday, April 17, 2010

What's happening tonight?


Tonight would be the much looked forward to yet dreaded event in my office's calendar! It's our Annual Dinner and Dance (ADD). 

Anticipated because:
  1. it's our only major event that gives us a reason to leave the house (no kids allowed! sorry kids, but this is a company event, Mama has to go!) which means Date Night for me and hubby. 
  2. sometimes, depending on the theme for the year, it means I'd go... Oh my god! I have absolutely NOTHING to wear... which means... I just need to get something new for this year's ADD
  3. something to wear would normally end up with, something to go with it too like shoes, arm candy, accessories etc etc ....yippee! more shopping
  4. free 4-5 course dinner!
  5. sometimes, very rarely I must stress, excellent entertainment! 
  6. there'd be a 1% chance of me winning a lucky draw! ... well I did win once, Crabtree & Evelyn vouchers (not bad at all!)
Dreaded event because:
  1. all that shopping is really not that good for my bank account's well being
  2. sometimes, they chose the most unentertaining entertainers that they can find!
  3. sometimes the door gift sucks
  4. sometimes you don't even get the lousiest lucky draw gift
  5. I'd have to look for my non-existent make-up, that I'd end up buying especially for this one night in the year
  6. sometimes, it clashes with one's 9 month pregnancy (like two year's back)
  7. sometimes the timing sucks cause your hubby happens to be out of the country
  8. sometimes they'd come up with the most ridiculous theme
My point of update today is this year happens to be leaning on more towards a more dreaded event because of point 7 and 8 above! Point 7: I can still live with because, in the end the independent babes that we are in my female dominated department (boss included!), we have decided that half of us girls are going without our hubbies for one reason or another! (lucky for me!). 

However, the point 8 is the point that I'm struggling with. It is because the theme this year is Masquerade ball! I have trouble spelling the word, let alone I'd be able comply by the theme! Major stress here people!!

So what doe the Wikipedia has to say about a Masquerade Ball


masquerade ball (or bal masqué) is an event which the participants attend in costume wearing a mask. (A masque is a formal written and sung court pageant.)
Such gatherings, festivities of Carnival, were paralleled from the 15th century by increasingly elaborate allegorical Entries, pageants and triumphal processions celebrating marriages and other dynastic events of late medieval court life. Masquerade balls were extended into costumed public festivities in Italy during the 16th century Renaissance(Italian, maschera). They were generally elaborate dances held for members of the upper classes, and were particularly popular in Venice. They have been associated with the tradition of the Venetian Carnival. With the fall of the Venetian Republic at the end of the 18th century, the use and tradition of masks gradually began to decline, until they disappeared altogether.

Masquerade ball at Château de HattonchâtelFrance.
They became popular throughout mainland Europe in the 17th and 18th centuries, sometimes with fatal results. Gustav III of Sweden was assassinated at a masquerade ball by disgruntled nobleman Jacob Johan Anckarström, an event which Eugène Scribe andDaniel Auber turned into the opera Gustave III. The same event was the basis of Giuseppe Verdi's opera A Masked Ball, although the censors in the original production forced him to portray it as a fictional story set in Boston. Most came from countries like Switzerland and Italy.
Click here to read more.


In a nutshell, basically one attends the ball in COSTUME, wearing a mask! Really, OMG! Can they get a MORE DIFFICULT theme than this one??? I don't know, I'm telling you, what I have planned to wear tomorrow... I don't know...
Mask, that I have bought... I also bought new purse, bought new chunky ring :-D! Not so masquerade ball like, is it? The question is what "costume" am I wearing. Would what I be wearing, work??? The girls surely said so... hmmm I hope they were telling me the truth. Sigh!

Yes, yes, I will surely upload tonight's pictures sometime next week, to let you all see and decide.
In the meantime. Pray for me?
Whatever it is, hope we'd have a blast tonight with no hubbies in sight, us girls... good food (hopefully), Dayang Nurfaizah (M'sian Beyonce herself) and Atilia... wohoo! Now I'm excited... so what, if I'm dressed wrongly! At least if I keep my mask on, no one will care. :-D




4 comments:

nj said...

eti...
with all these introduction of your attempt for the ADD...tell me .. it's gonna be an extraordinary one!! good luck! hehehe...

ERMAYUM said...

i malas nak ikut theme 2 sungguh la tak reti and sgt la boring memem - ours is 23rd next week theme this year jeans bling2 hahah - best ye company i tak pernah invite spouse unless u naik pentas for 30 years award :)
anyway lots of luck for u :)

superheroes' mom said...

we want pics we want pics!!! :D

Eti said...

Norma norma, you have such high hopes for me, I'm flattered... he!he! tunggu eh kita update gambar...

Ermayum, thanks! Lantaklah I belasah je...

SHM, he!he! tunggu kay.

Related Posts with Thumbnails